I knew it was going to be a tough start when, upon entering the girls' room to wake them up, the first thing out of Abilene's mouth was, "I miss Mommy." Gee, that will perk you up in the morning.
So today I had to find something, anything to do with them. We started with a trip to Target, where the kids posed in the pseudo art deco hole near the entrance moments before Abilene went tumbling through it. Suddenly I'm that father, hearing the whispers of other customers, "Why is that man in charge of those kids?! Lucky I have CPS on speed dial..."

Everyone still in one piece, we later got some custard at Culver's. Thanks to a coupon for a free sundae and some extra bowls I brought from home, we were all able to dine for under $3 bucks. Take that, economy!

But just as I was losing hope, scrambling for anything to keep their attention off of their absent, adored mother, we discovered the fire station next to our subdivision was putting on a community festival. Giant trucks, a helicopter and a free all-access pass to everyone. I was saved by the Fire Department and my house didn't have to catch fire. It's a win-win.
Below are some photos, but you can see more by clicking here. Abby and Brody both said their favorite thing was getting to wear helmets in the helicopter, although I'm amazed the head gear fit over their curly heads. Also, you'll notice a lack of photos featuring Lorena at the festival. I had to keep her in the stroller and she, well, she wasn't happy, so I threw one in of her from earlier in the day.
Finally, here's a great shot of the most frightening thing I've possibly ever seen: Brody at the wheel of a fire engine. Words cannot express my terror, so you'll just have to look for yourselves.

No comments:
Post a Comment