Today was one of those prime examples that should be printed in customer service training manuals and provided to anyone wearing an apron, working a cash register or interacting with patrons in any way, shape or form.
It was a beautiful, sunny day in Houston today; the kind of day that makes you want to put raw meat over a flame. So, I found a new recipe and went to the store to pick up a few ingredients, one of which was bacon.
Now, those of you that know me understand I'm a big fan of bacon. Those that don't know me, well, I'm a big fan of bacon.
Side note: Remember the Bacon Salt we told you all about back in July? Well, it's still awesome, in case you were wondering.
So, off to the store I go, happy to be buying bacon. I only need two slices for this recipe, so I head to the deli. Sad news, though, when I hear the five worst words in the English language:
"Sorry, we're out of bacon."
So I had to buy pre-packaged bacon. But purchasing a large quantity of bacon really isn't an issue. Again, I like bacon.
Side Note #2: Given the fact that there are 18 billion candle scents out there, how come there isn't a bacon one? I think I'll invent it and win the Nobel Prize for Awesomeness.
Dejected that I didn't get the really good deli bacon, but delighted that I had a huge package of bacon, I headed to the check out line. Now, the cashiers at our local grocery store are good about asking if we found what we were looking for. As you'll see from the transcript below (unedited), they're not so good at responding to customers' answers.
Cashier (Sandie): Did you find everything you were looking for?
Me: Well, unfortunately the deli was out of bacon, but I got a package in the lunchmeat section.
Sandie: Oh, they were out?
Me: Yes, bacon must be very popular today.
Sandie: I'm sorry to hear that. Well, how about a toothbrush on sale for 99 cents?
Me (perplexed): Um...no, I'm good. Just need the bacon.
In case you missed it, her response to my dilema of a bacon-less deli was to purchase a toothbrush that was on sale. This is the farthest thing from a solution as you can possibly get. I'm glad Sandie didn't go into a different line of work:
Patient: Doctor, my arm was cut off!
Dr. Sandie: Oh, would you like a half-price nose job?
So, I left confused and toothbrush-less. But, the dinner (Cajun-Spiced Pork Tenderloin with Red Bean Salad) was a pleasant surprise, despite the substitute bacon.

The irony of it all? I did get some stuck in my teeth. Curse you Sandie!
Side Note #3: I think I achieved my goal of using the word "bacon" 18 times, setting an all-time blog record. Thanks for sharing this proud moment with me.
2 comments:
Yeah, I'm going to need that recipe. :-)
Are you sure you didn't mishear? Maybe she offered you a bacon brush.
I'm not sure that that's a real product, and if it is, I can't imagine what it would possibly do, but still -- think about it.
Post a Comment