Thursday, August 28, 2008

Gas Station Fashion

DISCLAIMER: Despite evidence to the contrary, I do not have a gas station fetish.

I work in a shopping mall, and sometimes get to witness fashion trends before they hit the main stream. Some make more sense and some are more subtle, but friends we are upon the cusp of a hot new brand that is neither sensible nor subtle-ible.

I'm speaking, of course, about Buc-ee's:



Buc-ee's is a gas station company with around 30 locations in Texas. Their mascot is this beaver with a red hat (you know, to distinguish itself from the other cartoon beavers marketing gas stations) and their quirky billboards can be seen along the highways, including
this one, this one, this one, this one and this very strange one.

Their biggest selling point is their clean restrooms, prompting people to
hold it for hundreds of miles, liken a toilet to royalty seating and make a disgusting reference to mints (Side note: this is how low our standards have fallen. We become excited when we hear someone actually has clean restrooms!).

But anyway, back to the fashion...

Lately I've seen people around town wearing black t-shirts with the Buc-ee's beaver logo. Simple, strange and all over the place. They're at the mall, when we went to Family Camp a few weeks ago and now (apparently) haunting my waking thoughts.

People everywhere are donning black t-shirts in the heat of August to proclaim their affiliation with a gas station. My friends, the apocolypse cannot be far off.

So, if you want to be on the cutting edge of what's hip (Side note #2: Is it hip to say "hip" anymore?) go get yourself a Buc-ee's shirt. At the very least, please keep an eye out, because I cannot be the only one seeing these things, unless this is some elaborate scheme by Buc-ee's to get me to blog about it and reach my massive audience of five people.


If that's the case, that's one clever beaver.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am delurking here. I have to tell you that when I see a new post on my bloglines for your blog I get excited b/c I know I get a good laugh. Then I forward it to my friends! Just thought you would like to know that you and April are hilarious people and I am a big fan of the blog (Lucky, too!)
Brittany Smith :)