
While driving him to school, I made Parental Mistake #1: Giving your kids a choice. I asked if he wanted me to simply drop him off (like a deadbeat dad) or walk him into school (so that everyone can see what a great father I am). He picked the drop off, opened the door and bolted out, running to his classroom. I didn't even have time to get teary-eyed, but I guess it's good that he was excited about school. I should probably get used to being ditched by my kids. At least he didn't make me park a few blocks away and hide from any of the "popular" kids. I guess no dad never stays cool forever.
Speaking of things that don't last, I accidentally broke a souvenir from our honeymoon this weekend. We went to Sea World in San Antonio and got a Clydesdale magnet (I know, we chose the only land-mammal found at a sea-life park), which has hung on our fridge for the last 8+ years. Somehow, I managed to knock it off and it hit the ground, breaking into too many pieces even for super glue. This horse had to be put down.
But being a practical and typical (i.e. insensitive) husband, I realized a chunk of the horse still had the magnet on the back. "Nothing wrong with this magnet" I thought, and placed it right back on the fridge.
Yesterday, April saw the headless, legless, everythingelseless horse and was kind of creeped out by it. I think the phrase, "I don't want a horse torso magnet on my fridge" was uttered for the first time in human history. So, sadly, the magnet is no more.
Glad our marriage is built on more than gift shop fodder, and also that I didn't spring for that $20 Shamu magnet...
No comments:
Post a Comment