Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mint Condition

Today's batch of mint brownies sparked quite the conversation in Rocheville.

I'm not a fan of mint. Not that I hate it, but I mentioned that I really can't discern any difference between say, peppermint and regular mint. I figured it was all "mint" and there were just varying degrees of "mintness."

This prompted a discussion on the wide assortment of mints: spear mint, double mint, winter mint, etc. Since they all taste the same to me, I equated it to a simple marketing ploy to sell more gum, a branding technique to create the illusion of several options of the same product. Really, who can tell the difference between spear and double mint? I don't think there is, just a different wrapper and jingle. It's a gum conspiracy, I tell you. Anyone else with me?!

Apparently I have "Mintophelia" or what is more commonly known as "Justin Roche's Disease." Signs of JRD include the inability to discern between different kinds of mint and the propensity to keep insisting one's view is correct in light of a spouse's conclusive evidence.

If you think you or anyone you know has JRD, consult your spouse to confirm the diagnosis and agree with whatever they say.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Wait, spearmint is a real thing?

justinroche said...

Apparently so (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentha_spicata) as Wikipedia is never wrong. I would have sworn it was something made up to sell more gum, like blue raspberry did for the slurpie industry.