Monday, February 2, 2009

Brewster's Dilemma

I've mentioned before my disdain for any kind of remake, be it music, movies or TV shows. I figure if I can't re-release "War & Peace" or "The Illiad" just in a different font, then people should be required to come up with their own movies and songs instead of remaking 70's TV shows into feature films.

It's gotten so bad that I've declared I won't see a movie that is a remake. It was an easy way to avoid seeing bad movies and making a stand for originality. But today, something bad happened.
I found out "Brewster's Millions" was a remake.

I love this move (the Richard Pryor version). The very premise of having to spend $30 million in 30 days is a fantastic mental exercise, plus it's hard to beat a comic duo of Pryor and John Candy. Finally, this movie, along with "Trading Places," and "Coming to America" is on at least once a day somewhere on cable television. If you stumble upon it, it's a pleasant surprise that gives you an excuse to drop what you're doing for the next two hours.

But now I am forced to reexamine my remake rule. If I continue enjoying "Brewster's" I am a hypocrite. If I uphold the remake rule, I can no longer watch as Pryor blows through his millions.

This is like Hamlet's "To be, or not to be" only this time it's important.

I'm going to need some time to sort through this complicated issue, but it will have to wait. "Trading Places" just came on.

No comments: